Our Timelines

Daisypath Lilypie Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Friday, April 28, 2006

The Lion King Mural Should Have Tipped Me Off


Today was Lucas' 9 Month Well Baby Checkup. The patient rooms at his Doctor's office are all painted with a different Mural from a Disney movie. Every time we go and Lucas is growing like he should be and there are no worries it always turns out we are in the Pinocchio room. At his 6 month appointment when we found out that Lucas had lost weight and that Lucas needed to be supplemented for a little bit to make sure that he could gain weight we were in the Lion King Room.

Well when we got to the Doctor's it was busy and I ran into Michelle (I went to childbirth classes with her and she was the first of our group to have her baby.). Lucas played with her son while we waited to be called back to a room. Of course I am kicking myself now for not taking a picture of them together. It was really cool to see her! She also had her mom with her and my mom was with me too (because we had lunch plans for afterwards which we didn't make because his appointment took over 2 & 1/2 hours and Lucas just wanted to go home and sleep!) It was fun to sit in the waiting room and swap labor and baby stories.

When we get led back to a patient room I immediately see that we are in the Lion King room. I told my mom right then that I knew that this appointment wasn't going to go so hot and she told me I was being silly....

So, to make a long story short in 3 months Lucas has only gained 15 ounces. He now weighs a whopping 13 lbs 15 oz. He also only grew 1/2 an inch an length for a total of 26 & 1/2 inches long. Combined with his slow weight gain and overall growth and the fact that he isn't sitting up on his own from a laying down position, pulling up at all, hates to put pressure on his legs, and isn't crawling the doctor is concerned about him. They are referring us to a Neurologist for a complete workup and then also considering doing a metabolic work up on him. They also took blood today but everything with that looked good. He isn't anemic.

We also go back now every month for checkups (normally his next appointment wouldn't have been until his 1 year birthday) so we go back May 31, the day before we fly to California. I'm trying to stay positive because I don't want to get as depressed as I was after his 6 month appointment.

I managed to keep pretty upbeat until I got home. It seems like when it rains it pours because after I got Lucas down for a nap (did I mention he missed his morning nap because we spent over 2 & 1/2 hours at the Doctor) the front office left a note on our door. It have to make a bunch of repairs to our trailer before May 12th:

1) Pressure wash the outside
2) Paint the Outside
3) Paint the Roof with Kool Seal
4) Replace the lattice with matching skirting

So needless to say as soon as I read the letter I just broke down in tears. I looked up how much it will cost to "Kool Seal" the roof and it is going to cost $80 just for the Kool seal itself... let alone the cost of everything else (we seem to have misplaced our magic money tree) and how everything is going to get done before May 12th!!! Curt is watching Fun With Dick and Jane as I type this and bank robbery is looking like a pretty good option.

5 comments:

TednLisa said...

I'm sorry about the Lion King room. When do you get to see the neurologic docter? Lucas does all sorts of things that other babies don't do at his age. The walking and sitting up thing might just be his personality. Your mom thinks he is a genius and told me how he got something out of her purse today. Don't get down. I know it will be so hard not to worry. You are doing all of the right things. Lucas has an amazing mom and I know plenty of other people would agree with me.

Anonymous said...

Lucas is a very bright boy. he does have that laid back personality,just like his aunt angela ( didn't crawl untill she was 13 months) doctor said she had no reason to was content where she was her brother Curtis took her everything she needed move her things and she will follow. She did

Liz said...

Sounds like you are emotionally ok, and you should be.

The house thing does suck, if you ask for an extension of time I am sure they will give it to you, due to finances etc.

I agree with Lisa you are awesome, every picture you have almost he is eating and happy so keep that in mind.

Anonymous said...

The Lion King room should be removed from the clinic entirely so as not to worry you when you find yourself in it.

I'm sorry to hear about Lucas, but do your best to stay positive - he's happy and loved and has two wonderful parents and he gets all the Cheerios he wants, so I'm sure it will all work out just fine.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that things will work out....they always do...

you are doing a great job...I know I was not nearly as good as you are and if we are doing so you guys will be more than ok too