Our Timelines

Daisypath Lilypie Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Dear Lucas (6 years and 4 months,)


It's been a great fall so far. We had fun decorating the yard for Halloween and for the first time I didn't have to carve the pumpkin! This year you and your Dad scooped out all of the guts and gave it a funny face.
Right now you are very into Harry Potter so your Halloween costume was an easy pick. I had fun collecting the pieces to pull it all together. I even made you a broom out of sticks and found you a stuffed owl for Hedwig. It's been a blast falling in love with all things Harry Potter with you. I can't wait until you are old enough to finish the rest of the books. We stopped reading them together once they got a little dark and more mature.
We went trick-or-treating with your friend Preston and his sister Sierra. It has become a sort of tradition. I think this is the fourth year in a row we've all gone together. As always you guys had a blast! You got so much candy but the funniest treat was a Kraft cheese single. You thought it was hilarious.
I had to go to work and you had school the next day so we didn't stay out trick-or-treating long but that didn't stop you on wracking up the candy. You went through the candy and picked a few pieces and left the rest out for the Sugar Fairy who switched it out for a Lego board game.
This month your school had its very first awards day of the year. You made high honor roll and it couldn't be prouder. When you walked up front to get your certificate you saw me sitting there in the front row and your face lit up. I live for moments like that.
Over Veteran's Day weekend we planned to take care of my flight benefits for the first time and head to California to see our family. Flying standby was certainly a learning experience and you were a trouper. We spent a lot of time just sitting and waiting and not getting on planes. I think you took it a lot better than most adults would! I can't wait to go on more adventures with you!
While we were in California I went to our cousin Davia's wedding and you hung out with our other cousins. You had a blast playing with Ben and Ean. I don't think you even missed me while I was gone.
One of the coolest things we did while we were in California was go to the beach at Sunset. It wasn't planned it just happened that way. It was so pretty and you could care less that it was cold and windy. You still ran in and out of the waves and dug in the sand.
Getting back home to Georgia was another adventure. We ended up spending the night in the airport in Atlanta. When we got to Savannah I took you straight to school. You were really great at catching up on your homework. You even had to do your first report in a short amount of time. You could choose any animal and your of course decided to learn about Snowy Owls (the same kind of Owl as Harry Potter's Hedwig.) I can't believe you are old enough to write research papers!
One of my favorite fall traditions is taking you to the Children's Book Festival at Forsyth Park. In the years past you wanted your picture taken with the book characters like Clifford, or Pooh but you had no interest this year. Instead you wanted to sit and hear Peter Catalanotto read one of his books and talk about how he ended up writing and illustrating children's books. He was very inspirational and talked about how all kids are artists and that you should just keep writing down your stories and drawing. You were enthralled by everything he was saying and you slowly made your way up to the front of the group. Ever since you've been making little books and writing stories.

Over Thanksgiving break we finally accomplished another first when I took you to play miniature golf. You really enjoyed it. I don't know why we haven't been sooner. The place is right near our house.
For Thanksgiving your Uncle Ted wanted to take us all to his favorite restaurant Maggiano's. We all loaded up and headed down to Jacksonville. It was so much fun. We all sat at two tables pushed together and passed four courses of food around the table. It was nice to try something different as a family. I'm so glad we took a family picture before we left.
Before we left we also made sure to get a picture of all the cousins together now that Teddie is here. I am sure it is the first of many to come of the seven of you. Good news, Joseph and Joshua won't be moving after all. I'm so happy that you get to grow up together!
The Day after Thanksgiving we headed to Tybee Island for some fun at the beach. Ever since we went in California you had been begging to go back to the beach here. We built a "Sandman" and tried to get a good picture for our Christmas card. I can't wait to experience another Christmas with you! Every year it just gets better and better!
I love you to the moon and back,
Mommy

1 comment:

dakpainter67 said...

Hello. That's a nice picture you took from the literacy festival. Would you send it to me? Dash1210@gmail.com
I hope you and Lucas have a glorious Christmas.
Peter Catalanotto