Our Timelines

Daisypath Lilypie Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Parenting Tip for Today: Don't Read "The Velveteen Rabbit" to a Sick Kid

One Christmas growing up my Grandma Moore gave me and my sister a pair of Velveteen rabbits and a copy of the animated story on VHS. My sister became VERY attached to her rabbit so when I saw the Velveteen Rabbit board book in Target for $1.00 I couldn't not get it. I have read it to Lucas a few times but he hasn't seemed that into it. Today however, he requested we read it before his nap. Man was that a mistake!

When we got to the part of the story when the boy get sick and his toys have to be thrown away because they have bad germs Lucas looked up at me with these big eyes and asked "baby have bad germs?" Even after I told him his lovey didn't have bad germs he kept saying over and over "baby is sad, baby is sad mommy." I guess we will be putting that book up for a while, or at least avoid it during sicknesses.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I love the picture! You should look into pursuing a career in photography. What kind of camera do you use?

I had forgotten about The Velveteen Rabbit! The poor little boy had to throw all his toys away! Didn't the rabbit turn into a real rabbit at the end?

K A R I™ said...

Thank you!I took a few photography classes at AASU. I LOVED them! I need a better camera though. I don't have a digital SLR yet... one day. Right now I have a Fujifilm FinePix S 5200.

The toy does turn into a real rabbit at the end so you would think that would be happy ending except I don't think Lucas really gets it yet. I think he might be worried that his toys will turn "real" and run away or something.