Our Timelines

Daisypath Lilypie Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm Now a Working Mom


At the end of June I put in my application at the airport to work for United. I needed a distraction from what has been the last year of my life (the whole trying to get pregnant but not being successful at getting knocked up thing.) Plus there is the whole the cost of everything is going up lately except our income, especially since I haven't been babysitting for several months.

By the end of July I got a call asking if I was still interested in the job (I was) so I went in for an interview. The next day I was offered the job and I took it. Since I am working at the airport I had to go though all kids of background checks and screening and pass a class to get my ID badge since I am allowed in special areas of the airport. So as of August 3rd I went from being a SAHM to a part time ramp agent. At United everyone starts our at the ramp then they can move up (if they want) to a ticket agent (which I think I would like to do, because who doesn't want to be yelled at by passengers stuck in an airport far from home... sign me up for that!)

So far I just love the job. It is exciting. I love the people I work with even though most of them can't understand why I am working there if I have a college degree (the hours let me still have the benefits of being a SAHM during the day and I just work a couple nights a week.) Oh and did I mention the flight benefits!!!! For just $50 a year I can fly around the world and so can Curtis, Lucas, my parents, and my in-laws. I might finally get to see Paris one day!
************************************************
What is a Ramp Agent?
Ramp agents are responsible for all ground servicing of an aircraft while in the airport between flights. Typically, this means preparing for aircraft arrival by readying the wheel chocks, beltloaders (for unloading baggage), and various other machinery used in aircraft maintenance. When the aircraft arrives, ramp agents are responsible for guiding the pilots with hand signals or orange flashlight wands into position next to the gate. When the plane comes to a stop, ramp agents chock the wheels of the plane and guide the jetbridge (the enclosed ramp connecting the airport gate to the aircraft) to the aircraft door.

Working conditions for ramp agents can be difficult at times. Most work is performed outside in all types of weather, and ear plugs are usually necessary because of aircraft engine noise. Agents sometimes must work quickly to ready a plane for departure, and weather delays can cause several flights to arrive at the same time, making for hectic schedules.

No comments: